Welcome!

Welcome to the fine art blog of San Diego photographer Stefanie Poteet. Here you will find photographs of everything from vintage hot rods to rubber ducks and everything in between.

If you are interested in Stefanie's wedding and event photography or portraiture, please visit her client blog.



Monday, April 30, 2012

Motel Monday - Just After Dusk

I'm posting today's Motel Monday a bit later than usual so I thought an evening motel shot would be more appropriate. Lucky for me I've got just the thing...

The same day that I photographed the Supai Motel in Seligman, I spent the night in Flagstaff. Also part of Route 66, Flagstaff has kept it's historic downtown area and several vintage motels, motel signs, and cafes. The Hotel Monte Vista sits on the corner of Aspen Avenue and San Francisco Street, one block north of Route 66 itself. The hotel actually predates Route 66 as it was built in 1926. I guess it was just in the right place at the right time.

The Monte Vista has had quite a few famous guests including Bob Hope, Michael Stipe, Bing Crosby, Michael J. Fox, Jon Bon Jovi, Clark Gable, and my personal favorites John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart and Freddie Mercury. The hotel is reportedly haunted by several friendly ghosts as well, but I'm going to leave the supernatural out of this.

During my brief stay in Flagstaff I ate dinner at the Galaxy Diner, which I highly recommend, before driving to the downtown area to take a walk around. I was serendipity that I took this photo of the Hotel's vintage rooftop signage just after dusk had fallen and I love the colors. Maybe next time I'll check out the interior.
Happy Monday!

- Stefanie

No comments: