Welcome!

Welcome to the fine art blog of San Diego photographer Stefanie Poteet. Here you will find photographs of everything from vintage hot rods to rubber ducks and everything in between.

If you are interested in Stefanie's wedding and event photography or portraiture, please visit her client blog.



Monday, May 21, 2012

Motel Monday - Loop de Loop

Most of my road trips are centered around groupings of signs I want to photograph that can be found within a city or general area. This makes my trips more efficient, allowing me to capture as many signs as possible and attempt to save gas in the process. But every once in a while I'll stumble upon a vintage sign that is so extraordinary I will drive well out of my way just to photograph it and nothing else. That one sign is the trip.

Perhaps it's just a function of it's location, but the Loop Motor Lodge in Venture was one of those signs for me. I've had it on my maps for years, and with every trip to Los Angeles I'd wish I'd made it farther north and west. A few weeks ago I finally took the trip and was thrilled to finally see it in person.

I love the neon details that adorn the outside of the sign, and I bet it looked amazing when fully lit. A vintage postcard I found of the motel shows that some changes have been made to the sign over the years, but the core remains unchanged. The design is so classic and simple it makes me smile. 
Here's hoping that smile lasts all week!

Happy Monday!

- Stefanie

No comments: