Welcome!

Welcome to the fine art blog of San Diego photographer Stefanie Poteet. Here you will find photographs of everything from vintage hot rods to rubber ducks and everything in between.

If you are interested in Stefanie's wedding and event photography or portraiture, please visit her client blog.



Monday, May 14, 2012

Motel Monday - The Sun and the Sand

Today's feature is by far one of my favorite photographs ever, in part because this sign is no longer the one that got away.

The Sun 'n Sand Motel sits on Route 66 in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. The first time I spotted this sign was from afar during the summer of 2009. We'd stopped for gas in the midst of our cross country road trip and the motel was just down the street. For the life of me I cannot figure out why I didn't photograph it then... whatever reason I had for not getting out of the truck, putting on my shoes and walking the few blocks in the late July heat with my camera became completely feeble and inexcusable just a few hours later.

I've been kicking myself ever since that summer and with every disappearing sign I read about I kicked myself even more. Thankfully when I made it back to Santa Rosa last year the Sun 'n Sand was still standing as beautiful as ever. Apparently the sign was restored sometime before June 2006, and you can definitely spot it from Interstate 40. Take the exit into Santa Rosa and you'll drive right by the motel.

The motel also has it's own restaurant but it was closed for the Thanksgiving holiday. The restaurant comes complete with it's own great vintage googie inspired signage. I'll save it for a Foodie Friday feature.
Here's to checking this one off my list!

Happy Monday!

- Stefanie

No comments: